Tuesday, June 19, 2012


Yesterday was our first day in Betonia. When the bus rolled into the village, all the kids just started bolting after us! They were so loving, kind, and energizing! The guys helped with building the church while the rest of us told the story of creation at the school and the kids were totally entranced by it! After that we went around to different houses in the community and prayed with the people there. God is doing amazing things in the humble town of Betonia!

I was amazed at how quickly the kids in Betonia were willing to play with us. I was somewhat shy at first because the language barrier and my natural shyness in new situations. But within minutes, Cara and I were playing an intense game of keep away. I have no idea what the kids were saying, but it didn’t matter because laughter seems to be a universal language. I just loved seeing the huge smiles on the kids’ faces when I would pass them the ball, and as I look back I can’t believe that I was ever nervous. I am so excited to return the Betonia.  –Marissa

Today was an amazing day. I got to see the farm that Austin Fricker had started. There is so much that had been accomplished by the people and what Austin has started. Once we reached the school, the kids started rolling out and loving on us. I have never seen more love coming from a community or anyone before. I eventually got caught up in a really intense keep-away game with some of the kids and connected well with a few of the boys. Once we started our presentation about creation, the kids were intently listening. I was really surprised to see the kids connecting and loving what we were doing. I feel so connected to the people here and it’s already been the first day. I can’t wait for the rest of the week!!  -Cara 

The kids ran to greet us as soon as we got off the bus 



Creation group performing for the kids 

Small group discussions 

We tried to teach them leap frog.. it kind of worked!

4 comments:

  1. Awesome pictures and commentary. Glad you guys are having such a great trip. Keep the updates coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!! Today's post just oozes with enthusiasm...the Jesus way. Keep on smiling, playing and loving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing with us! We are praying for all of you.

    ReplyDelete